Reduce your home’s cooling load by employing cost-effective conservation measures.
1. When possible, delay heat-generating activities such as dishwashing and clothes drying, until the evening time on hot days.
2. Keep the house closed tight during the day. Don’t let in unwanted heat and humidity.
3. Get rid of unwanted heat with ventilation if the temperature of the incoming air is 77 degrees fahrenheit or lower. This strategy works most effectively at night and on cooler days.
Window fans for ventilation are a good option if used properly. They should be located on the downwind side of the house facing out. A window should be open in each room. Interior doors should remain open as well to allow air flow. (Consider a Retractable Screen for a door entryway or window opening. https://palmettooutdoorspaces.com/products/retractable-screen-doors/clearview-retractable-screen/)
4. Use ceiling fans to increase comfort levels at higher thermostat settings. The standard human comfort range in the summer is between 72 degrees fahrenheit and 78 degrees fahrenheit. To extend the comfort range to 82 degrees, create a breeze about 2.5 ft/sec or 1.7 mph. A slow-turning ceiling-mounted paddle fan can easily provide this air flow.
5. In hot climates, plant shade trees around the house. Don’t plant trees on the South if you want to benefit from passive solar heating in the winter.
If Air Conditioning has to be turned on
6. If you have an older central air conditioner, consider replacing the outdoor compressor with a modern, high-efficiency unit. Make sure that it is properly matched to the indoor unit.
7. If in the market for a new air conditioner, make sure the unit will adequately get rid of high humidity. Models with variable or multi-speed blowers are generally best. Try to keep moisture sources out of the house.
8. Try not to use a dehumidifier at the same time your air conditioner is operating. The dehumidifier will increase the cooling load and force the air conditioner to work harder.
9. Seal all air conditioner ducts, and insulate ducts that run through unheated basements, crawl spaces, and attics.
10. Keep the thermostat set at 78 degrees fahrenheit or higher if using ceiling fans. Close vents in unused rooms.
11. Provide effective shade for east and west windows. Add over window or over door awnings. https://palmettooutdoorspaces.com/products/window-shades/window-awnings-outdoor-rollup-shades/
12. Install white window shades or mini-blinds. Mini-blinds can reduce solar heat gain. Better yet, have Palmetto Outdoor Spaces install interior solar shades which are designed specifically to deflect UV radiation and heat; reducing heat gain by fifty percent (50%). http://www.palmettooutdoorspaces.com/retractable-screens/interior-roller-shades/
13. Close south and west-facing curtains during the day for any window that gets direct sunlight.
14. Hang tightly woven screens or bamboo shades outside the window during the summer to stop sun’s heat from getting to the windows. Solar Shades installed on the outside of windows reduces solar heat gain by eighty to ninety percent (80% – 90%), dependent on the fabric openness chosen. Choose motorized option, for operating solar shades and screens from the comfort of a chair inside the house. https://palmettooutdoorspaces.com/products/porch-shades-screen-porches/clearview-retractable-screens-shades/)
Exterior Solar Screens are great for sunrooms that get too much sun and heat. They deflect the harmful uv radiation that causes heat gain, sun glare, fading sun rays, and extreme temperature. They allow for a clear view to the outside.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cqWS98vjoM
16. Add radiant barrier sheets to roof deck to deflect heat and prevent transference of attic heat to inside home.
For more energy saving tips and summer cooling solutions see our website and those listed.
Consumer Guide to Home Energy Savings – 10th Edition
Save Money, Save the Earth
by Jennifer Amann, Alex Wilson, & Katie Ackerly
Saving Energy: Saving Money
14 Ways to Keep Cool in Your Home Without Airconditioning
by Annie B. Bond